FUE – FUT Hair Transplants For Men & Women in New York City.
Celebrity trusted hair restoration surgeon Dr. Linkov is known in the community as the doctor to go to when your goal is to reverse hair loss, thinning hair, or baldness. If you’ve been thinking about FUE or FUT hair transplant in NYC, contact our state-of-the-art hair transplantation clinic to schedule your consultation. Located in the heart of Manhattan on Madison Ave and 60th Str, we’re easy to find, and our friendly staff will walk through the best hair restoration options for reversing the signs of hair loss. Dr. Linkov is among the top New York hair transplant doctors. He has been featured on Dr. Oz show on a segment about the latest, cutting-edge hair loss treatments to stimulate new hair growth and to improve your appearance and self-confidence.
What Is a Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant is an affordable surgical procedure that takes hair from one part of the body and moves it to another. In the past, results looked unnatural, and recovery was painful. Now, using the latest technologies and techniques, beautiful and affordable hair restoration in NYC is possible. And the best part is that Dr. Linkov provides affordable hair implants that are permanent when performed on the appropriate candidate. Get the hair loss treatment you need in the safe, reassuring hands of the best Manhattan hair transplant doctor, Dr. Linkov.
City Facial Plastics in New York, under the management of a top-rated hair restoration specialist Dr. Linkov, uses the latest FUE hair follicle transplant techniques.
Hair Transplant Case
1920 FUE grafts were transplanted to the frontal and mid-scalp for this kind man. He had a pre-existing SMP tattoo which had to be carefully incorporated into the decision making when planning the hairline design.
What Are the Causes of Hair Loss or Baldness?
The most common type of hair loss is due to genetic factors, called androgenetic alopecia. Hair loss can affect men and women but results in a different phenotypic pattern. In men, the frontal and temporal recession is typical and is further classified by the Hamilton-Norwood scale. There is a preservation of the frontal-most hairs in women, but the scalp’s central areas show thinning, and the Ludwig scale best classifies that.
Other reasons for hair loss include:
- Hormonal changes
- Certain hairstyles
Visit our clinic and meet Dr. Linkov. He can help you find the most effective solutions to reverse hair loss signs, thinning hair, or getting bald. He is the best-rated hair transplant doctor in NYC and a frequently sought-after expert in the media, including regular appearances on major news outlets. Dr. Linkov prides himself on spending the necessary time to evaluate and treat hair loss issues in a compassionate and friendly environment on Madison Avenue in New York City.
What Are the Types of Hair Transplants?
Traditionally, hair is removed from the head’s back and sides and moved to the front of the head. However, nowadays, hair transplant New York specialist Dr. Linkov can take hairs from other body sites, such as:
- Arms/Legs (less favorable due to thinness)
And move hair follicle to other body sites as needed, such as:
- Pubic region
The scalp hairs have a higher graft survival rate (about 95%) compared to non-scalp hairs (about 75-80%).
Am I a Candidate for Surgery?
Who Is Not a Good Candidate for Hair Restoration?
You would not be the right candidate for hair restoration, or you should be very careful as the hair implant would likely fail if you have:
- Scarring hair loss condition such as frontal fibrosing alopecia
- Certain underlying medical conditions that may impact healing, such as immunosuppression
- Unrealistic expectations about the potential of a hair implant
What Are the Ways to Harvest Hair?
There are two primary ways to remove donor hairs, including:
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation): FUT involves removing a strip of hair, typically from the head’s back. The strip is processed under a microscope, and the hairs are divided into follicular units and stored until they are ready to be planted. The advantage of follicular unit transplant is that the procedure is generally faster than its alternative FUE and may deliver a more significant number of donor hairs from the head’s back. Also, it is possible to leave the hairs’ shaft longer if needed for specific procedures such as eyebrow hair transplantation. The disadvantages of FUT are that it leaves a linear scar, which is noticeable if the head is ever shaved, and the follicular unit transplant is not a good harvesting option in other parts of the scalp and body areas.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): FUE is the modern approach to hair transplantation. It involves removing individual follicular units, which exist as families of 1-4 hairs. Using various instruments described below, each follicular unit to be harvested is punched out using a punch size of 0.8mm-1mm on average. The tiny holes created to seal up and leave behind small circular scars that are barely perceptible even if the scalp is shaved. Attention is paid not to overharvest, leaving enough hairs in between the punched grafts. The main advantage of FUE is avoiding a linear scar as well as a more comfortable recovery with less pain and no sutures to remove. Also, the technique can be applied to the sides of the head and other body sites such as the neck and chest in some individuals. The disadvantage of FUE is the time and labor required to remove the grafts carefully.
What are FUE Methods?
The concept for FUE is to use a tool to remove a follicular unit graft without traumatizing the follicle. The device must punch through the skin, keeping the hair shaft in the middle of it, and include some of the deeper subcutaneous tissue as a cuff around the hair while preserving the hair follicle bulb.
There are a few tools that physicians are using to harvest (punch out) honor hairs using the FUE method, such as:
- Manual: A sharp or blunt-tipped manual punch is a cylindrical instrument rotated in hand and through the skin around the hair shaft.
- Motorized: This is the most common method currently used for FUE and includes a few types of machines, including ones made by Ellis, Devroye (WAW), Neograft, SmartGraft, and Trivellini (Mamba). The Ellis is a sharp punch system with a rotational mode only. The Devroye WAW FUE system has only an oscillating manner. The Neograft and SmartGraft systems are rotation mode only and come with a suction-based system. The Trivellini mamba system is digitally advanced and has three settings (rotation, oscillation, vibration), which can be custom set per the doctor’s preference to adjust to the patient’s hair and skin quality. Using suction is possible with Trivellini as well. Dr. Linkov, as an experienced hair transplant specialist, prefers the Trivellini FUE system for its versatility and adaptability and usually uses the vibration setting to avoid traumatizing the hair follicle. The Trivellini FUE system is the newest and most advanced FUE system on the market and comes with blunt-tipped flared punches that further reduce injury risk to the follicle.
- Robotic: The Artas robot has some automated features for extracting hairs, creating recipient sites, and placing the hairs (with the Artas iX). While a great marketing tool and helpful for reducing human fatigue with longer procedures, there are several disadvantages, which include:
- Cost – Since the robot costs about $300,000, the procedures are often more expensive to patients as the practice works to recoup the expense.
- Hair color – The robot requires darker hair to do the extractions. Patients with white or red hair need to dye their hair for the robot to work.
- Harvest location – The robot will only work where a flat grid can be applied, limiting the possibilities of harvest location.
- Time/Labor – The procedure is generally not any faster with the robot than motorized punch systems and still requires a team of technicians to complete the treatment.
Dr. Linkov is using several options for preparing the donor area for harvest, such as:
- Shave: The entire area to be harvested is shaved with an electric clipper down to about a number 1
- Partial shave: The lower back of the head is shaved down as above, the rest of the potential donor area is kept longer and trimmed carefully as needed for any further harvesting
- No shave: Only careful trimming is used with a scissor to leave enough surrounding long hairs to cover the harvested area and to make it less noticeable during recovery that you had a procedure
What Are the Ways to Implant Hair?
After the hairs are harvested from the donor site, they can then be implanted into the chosen recipient area. First, the recipient sites are made and then grafts are placed one by one. Board-certified plastic surgeon and a leading celebrity hair transplant expert in UES, Manhattan, Dr. Linkov differentiate between two main instruments used to create recipient sites, these include:
- Needles: 18G-21G one-inch needles, which can be bent to control the exact depth of the hair follicle, can be used to make recipient sites. A 1cc or 3cc syringe can be used as a handle. Needles may facilitate ease of implantation due to their circular shape and may cause less bleeding and injury to surrounding hairs due to there being a partially blunt side to the needle.
- Blades: 0.5mm-0.8mm blades can be used with blade holders to create precise recipient sites. The depth can be controlled based on how the blade is inserted into the blade holder. Blades stay sharper longer than needles and can be used to control the fit of the graft with proper angulation and direction as the graft is more locked in.
Studies by the leading hair restoration specialists have shown no difference in the ultimate growth of hair whether needles or blades are used. The decision of which instrument to use depends on the surgeon and technician’s experience and preference.
How Many Hair Grafts Do I Need?
During the initial consultation on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, Dr. Linkov, the best-rated hair transplant procedure expert will estimate a graft count based on your desired look, donor density, and density needed at the recipient site to create the proper appearance. The graft count is always an estimate as the final count will depend on the technical ability to harvest the intended number of grafts. But the estimated graft count will guide the amount of time needed for your procedure and the cost. We can assure you that we offer the most affordable and inexpensive hair transplant options in Manhattan.
In general, procedures can be divided into small, medium, and large cases, based on the following graft counts:
- Small: <800 grafts
- Medium: 800-1400 grafts
- Large: >1400 grafts
Keep in mind that even a small hair loss restoration surgery is time-consuming and meticulous in nature. Surgical hair restoration involving more than 2000 FUE grafts may require a two-day procedure.
What Leads to a Natural Appearance After a Hair Transplant?
There are several factors that lead to a natural post hair transplant appearance, including:
- Density – Sufficient density needs to be created consisting of the native hairs and the transplanted hairs
- Angulation – Different areas of the body and scalp have hairs growing at a certain angle to the skin surface and this needs to be respected when designing the recipient sites for a natural hair implant result
- Direction – Following the correct direction of hair growth is very important for natural results
- Fading – At the hairline, for example, single hair grafts are placed at the leading edge, and gradually 2, 3, and 4 hair grafts are added in as you progress further back to create a faded appearance
- Irregularization – Hair rarely grows in a perfectly straight line and therefore during a hair transplant it is critical to make irregular borders
Is the Doctor Actually Performing My Hair Transplant Surgery?
With the increasing popularity of the Neograft and SmartGraft platforms, the trend has been that hair restoration physicians are less and less involved with the actual surgical hair transplant procedure. Often they simply design the hairline with a surgical marker and then disappear for the rest of the day, allowing hair technicians to perform the entire surgery. These technicians are certified by the Neograft and SmartGraft companies but they are not doctors and are not ultimately responsible for the result.
Dr. Linkov at City Facial Plastics in Midtown, Manhattan is a top-rated and reputable hair transplant surgeon who is intricately involved with every step of the hair implant process. He is there performing portions of the FUE harvesting and placement of grafts and performs all of the recipient site creation which is the critical step. Leading New York hair transplant specialist Dr. Linkov works with only the most experienced technicians to provide the best results for his patients.
During your consultations make sure to ask your local transplant specialist or Dr. Linkov of hair transplantation clinic in Manhattan, which part(s) of the procedure he/she will be doing and how he/she plans to supervise the technicians throughout the procedure.
Is a Hair Transplant Only for Men?
How Much Is It?
Hair transplant cost varies across the country and the world. Some practices charge based on price per graft, and others charge a flat rate per hair implant surgery. In NYC, the cost of hair transplant per graft generally ranges from $5-$10/graft. Certain parts of the country may charge as low as $1.5/graft. Countries like India and Turkey offer packages with travel and hotel accommodations covered for a low price. Still, medical tourism can come at a price, so patients must do their careful due diligence.
The final hair restoration price depends on the following factors:
- The difficulty of the transplant procedure
- Experience of the surgeon
- Your geographic location
- Surgical technique
Here at our hair loss center, we offer the best quality hair transplant and permanent hair restoration at the lowest possible price for people suffering from different hair loss conditions. Our approach is to perform the highest quality procedure and make the process pleasant and affordable.
What Are the Risks And Side Effects of the Procedure?
Risks of this type of surgery include:
- Poor hair regrowth
- Overharvesting with a visibly reduced donor density
- Poor scarring
- Shock loss
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Wound dehiscence (FUT)
- Unnatural appearance
The most common side effect is scarring, and this cannot be avoided with any procedure. Other potential side effects entail:
- Scalp itching, pain, and swelling
- Inflammation of hair follicles
- Loss of sensation around the surgical sites
Dr. Linkov and the staff are very well familiar with all possible side effects, prevention, and management techniques during follicular unit transplant. To avoid and minimize complications, we use the proper surgical technique and offer individualized and planned transplants.
For more in-depth information about complications in hair, transplantation read the study published on PUBMED.
How to Prepare for a Hair Transplant?
Avoid medications and supplements that can thin the blood and cause increased bleeding during surgery, such as:
- Vitamin E
- Gingko Biloba
Refrain from smoking for at least one week before your procedure. Taking Vitamin C and Vitamin K before your procedure may help with healing and limit bruising.
For body hair donor areas, if applicable, you will need to shave the area five days prior to the procedure to allow the hairs to grow out to the desired length for extraction. For scalp hair donor areas, you can leave the hair long to allow the surgical team to trim/shave as per the discussed plan for harvesting.
What to Expect on the Day of the Surgery?
Before your NYC hair transplant procedure, Dr. Linkov suggests avoiding coffee, alcohol, and caffeine as these may increase bleeding and change how you respond to medications. Arrive at the office wearing comfortable, loose-fitting clothing. Do not apply any product to your hair and make sure your hair is clean. Take your routinely prescribed medications that morning as you normally do.
Bring in the procedure-specific prescribed medications to the office and the team will instruct you on how and what to take, but the usual cocktail includes:
- Antibiotic (ie. Cefadroxil)
- Anti-inflammatory (ie. Prednisone)
- Anxiolytic (ie. Valium)
- Sedative (ie. Ambien)
We are using local anesthesia (lidocaine with epinephrine) throughout the procedure to limit discomfort at the donor and recipient sites. Rarely, for certain body hair transplant procedures, we can recommend IV anesthesia.
Plan to have a friend or family member arrive at the conclusion of your procedure to escort you home.
How Long Does It Take?
What Is the Recovery From Hair Transplant Surgery?
For proper recovery after the hair transplant procedure, we recommend sticking to the following tips.
For the first night, sleep with your head elevated on several pillows or in a recliner chair to prevent swelling, and place a towel under your head for possible light bleeding. You may gently clean your hair beginning the second day until five days with water in a carefully poured basin over the head. On the sixth day, you may begin to shower normally, letting the water hit your scalp as usual.
The transplanted hairs often will fall out with the crusts as soon as five to eight days after the procedure. The hair follicles remain in the scalp. Most of the rest of the transplanted hairs will fall out over the next two weeks. The new hair shafts will begin to grow in the 4-6 month window and will continue to grow. The final result is typically judged at 12 months, though it can take longer before all of the hairs grow.
What Are the Reasons for a Hair Transplant Procedure?
There are many reasons why people want to undergo a hair transplant procedure, and the most common are:
- High hairline. It makes your head look very prominent. It can be something you inherit, or it can be a result of a hair loss. To manage this hair-related issue, Dr. Linkov carefully extracts the hair follicles and transplants the hair onto the scalp’s top to fill in the hairline or crown.
- Low hair density. Hair density determines how thick or thin your hair is. If you have less than 20 grafts per square centimeter, you might be dealing with low hair density. People with this hair condition can easily see their scalp. Dr. Linkov at City Facial Plastics utilizes a high-density graft placement technique to secure outstanding, long-lasting results.
- Large forehead. It is possible to shrink an overly large forehead with a hair transplant procedure. If you want your forehead to be in proportion with the rest of your facial features Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) can be an option.
Is PRP Combined With a Hair Transplant?
What Are Alternatives to a Hair Transplant?
A hair implant is a permanent hair restoration option. Other permanent hair transplant alternatives are:
- Surgical hairline advancement
- Scalp reduction surgery
Temporary, medical therapies for hair restoration treatment include:
- Oral and topical agents
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
Where Can I Get the Best Hair Transplant in New York?
Hair Transplant Before and After
Hair Transplant Case 1
This young woman previously had a surgical hair transplant to the lower hairline with another surgeon. We performed a 500 FUE graft procedure to round out the temple area and cover up the hairline scar.
Hair Transplant Case 2
This elegant woman lost all of her eyebrow hairs from over-plucking and from having a tattoo placed in the area. Here she is immediately after an eyebrow transplant of 300 grafts per side.
Hair Transplant Case 3
800 FUE grafts were transplanted from the back of the head to the hairline to create a rounder, more feminine appearance.
Hair Transplant Case 4
1400 FUE grafts were transplanted from the back of the head and the neck area to the frontal and mid-scalp areas. The patient prefers to wear his hair short, and his donor sites are shown. No one can tell that anything was done.
Hair Transplant Case 5
1800 FUE grafts were transplanted to the frontal and mid-scalp. PRP was performed during the transplant to improve hair re-growth and to prevent shock loss. This is at 7 months post-op, with additional growth expected.
Would you like to explore affordable hair transplant options? Contact our City Facial Plastics hair transplantation clinic, located in Manhattan, NY, to schedule a FREE consultation. Dr. Linkov is an internationally recognized hair transplant doctor in New York City who can help you find the best hair restoration procedure to obtain the look you desire to improve self-confidence in your appearance.